Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Notre Dame Protests

Much blogging and editorializing has ensued following the decision of Notre Dame University to invite President Obama to speak at and receive an honorary degree at its graduation ceremony later this Spring. It is puzzling that an institution whose graduates have championed human rights around the world would take this decision in light of the mixed human rights decisions the President has made to date.

One measured response was from Bishop D'Arcy in whose diocese Notre Dame is located.

"This will be the 25th Notre Dame graduation during my time as bishop. After much prayer, I have decided not to attend the graduation. I wish no disrespect to our president, I pray for him and wish him well. I have always revered the Office of the Presidency. But a bishop must teach the Catholic faith “in season and out of season,” and he teaches not only by his words — but by his actions. My decision is not an attack on anyone, but is in defense of the truth about human life. "


View the Bishop's entire statement here.

No comments: