Monday, February 11, 2008

My Incomplete List of Liberal Ideals

My Partial List of Liberal Ideals

Reviewing my editorials on this topic to date I find I have listed the following as Political Liberal Ideals.


Please note the word "Political". I am aware from comments on other blogs that some readers are not able to differntiate political, religious, mathmatical, and so forth use of language. Since I have given enough clues as to my religious world view and some readers may be aware of my training as a mathmatician there might be a temptation to apply the classifications I see as useful in one field and assume that I, the critic, would apply them undefined in the another field. Please avoid this temptation. In this series of blogs I am telling the story of the development my perspective on American Politics and making some amatuer diagnoses of the the current situation.

Liberal Principles identified so far:

I. All persons are created equal(1) and of equal dignity (2)

II. In America, leaders serve at the consent of the governed. (3)

III. Solidarity is the liberal modus operendi. (4)
a. Solidarity moves citizens to action
b. Polarity pertifies citizen action.


----------------------------------------
Footnotes and Amplifications:

(1) Sentence 1 of ,paragraph 2 of the American Declaration of Independance(1776),
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

(2) As with any standard or ideal some means of measuring achievment of it in real life is necessary. The value "dignity" provides this measurability for the ideal of equality. Dignity (webster: meaning one)is the quality of being worthy, honored or asteemed. For example, persons are denied dignity because of race, sex, ethnicity, language, age or religion are in fact denied equality. This is only a partial list of criteria I have seen used to deny someone's dignity/equality in my life time.

(3) Sentence 2 of Paragraph 2 of the American Declaration of Independance (1776),
"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,"

(4) For many the first reaction to the word "Solidarity" is to think of the liberal movement in Poland that took this word as its name. Its roll in bringing down the reactionary goverment of their country in undeniable. Its meaning, however, is more universal and applical elsewhere.

Webster: "Solidarity = Unity that produces (as in Poland) or is based on (as in US)
community of interests, 0bjectives and standards.See 'Unity'."


No comments: