Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Radical Presense Found at Mass

My sermon for the Third Sunday of Advent, Gaudete Sunday, was based on the readings and Psalm for the liturgy that urge us to rejoice because God is in our midst. At Mass God is present to us in three very important ways. He is present in our hearts, in our minds and in our bodies.

One of my favorite bloggers, Jennifer , in a posting on her Blog, "Conversion Diary", makes the same points more effectively than my overly intellectual attempts. Here is the ending of her article.

"As I stood with the baby at the apex of the Mass, the reception of the Eucharist, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for this gift that is as simple as it is profound. You eat God. He becomes part of you in a physical way. The whole concept is stunning and yet so primal, so primitive, that anyone in almost any state can grasp it.

Rarely in my life have I felt so comforted as I did that day at the Mass. I realized that no matter what happens to me, whether I become rich or poor, whether I end up strong and healthy or feeble and frail, at the Mass I will be taken care of. Because the only thing that will ever be required of me to fully participate is simply a love of God"

Read Jennifer's entire article .

No comments: